MATCH RACE National Championship Thailand 2013
1st March 2013 – Grade 5 Warm Up
2nd -3rd March 2013 – Grade 3 Nationals
Please read the NOR_Matchracethailand_Open 2013 for more information.
MATCHRACE THAILAND BOOTCAMP I and II - RS Vision
22nd and 23rd September 2012
Have you ever thought about trying match racing? Have you thought about improving your knowledge of rules of sailing or even just about giving it a go at the helm? Come and join us for “Boot Camp” on 22-23 September– A training weekend for all.
The event is open for everyone no matter how experience they are in sailing and racing.
We hope to see you in our Boot Camp on the water.
Matchrace Thailand – MAD HATTER’s Challenge I & II
Date: 19-20 May 2012 at Royal Varuna Yacht Club
This May is going MAD! The first one ever in Thailand – a match race challenge completely out of the Hat! Join us for MAD HATTER’s Challenge I & II 2012! Download the NOR here:
This fun event is design to get on board as many people as possible and let you taste the thrill of match racing! So if you want to try match racing, sail with new people, challenge old friends, get your first points in ISAF ranking or just have a fun weekend let us know at at: email@example.com
If you always wanted to test yourself in match racing and are mad enough to sail with a crew pulled out from a hat, or crew for a random skipper – this event is just for you!
We hope to see you soon and looking forward to a Mad Race!
Skills development at Royal Varuna Yacht Club
Umpire Clinic – 22-25 March 2012
We would like to invite those who are interested to join our Umpire Clinic that will be held in conjunction with Matchrace Thailand National Open Championship 2012, detail is as follow:Date: 22-25 March 2012 Presenter: Piero Occhetto (ISAF International Judge and Umpire, see more: Piero Occhetto CV) Venue: Royal Varuna Yacht Club, Pattaya, Thailand Cost: 2,999 THB for full Clinic (including Lunch) 799 THB for One day (Theory part on 22nd March) .
More details can be find in the Umpire Clinic schedule. We look forward to see you on the water!
Next Match Race Event at Royal Varuna Yacht Club
Matchrace Thailand National Championship – 23-25 March 2012
For more details see Notice of Race:
If you consider coming to Thailand for Matchrace Thailand Nationals 2012, check out also the Platu OPEN Championship of Thailand on 15-18 March 2012!
The Royal Varuna Yacht Club and the Matchrace Thailand group are determined to make the exciting sailing discipline take roots in Thailand and within this part of Asia. Since beginning in 2010 several Grade events were offered to Thailand sailors and their crews.
We must admit most in the sailing world consider us matchracers QUITE MAD; few sensible yachties would want to take two racing yachts and play cat and mouse with them, often only being inches apart.
Us, the participants know this sport is addictive. Pre-starts are electrifying and the race format really put focus on good crew works. The clincher for us is the super camaraderie between MR teams as there is plenty of time to make new friends while hanging out together before jumping back on the boats for the next short intensive and fun race.
Our Location is the Royal Varuna Yacht Club in the heart of Pattaya, Thailand. With the dedicated Beach Bar, we offer Match Race spectating of its best!
The 2011 Matchrace Thailand season schedule at Royal Varuna Yacht Club is as follows (event names provisional pending sponsorship):
- January 29-30 Matchrace Thailand – CUP IV & V (Grade 5)
- March 18-20 Matchrace Thailand – Open National Championship (Grade 3)
- July 2-3 Matchrace Thailand – CUP VI & VII (Grade 5)
- September 2-4 Matchrace Thailand – Open Championship (Grade 3)
“In our second year, I feel Match Racing in Thailand is growing substantially,” said Jon Eriksson, a regular competitor in match race events world-wide. “The spectator friendly environment of RVYC, the highly organized race, outstanding staff and volunteers, great Platu 25 boats and the active regatta formats has all helped put us on the map in the match racing community in Asia. I really look forward to another great year of racing.”
“Admittedly, this is an aggressive schedule of events,” said Simon Makinson, Commodore of the Royal Varuna Yacht Club “but our success in 2010 has encouraged us to keep growing. We feel like we’re providing good quality match race sailing for teams not only from Thailand, but also from Asia. That’s why we are offering two Grade 3 events in 2011.”
What is Match Race?
- A match race (two boats) is called a “Match”
- When two or more Matches are run back-to-back, usually with a rolling start, they are called a “Flight”
- Typically, a match racing event begins with a Round Robin, with each team racing each other once. If time permits, typically either a second Round Robin is raced, or the top four teams compete in a knock-out Semi’s and Finals type format (and the next four can compete in a similar format for places 5-8). Some events will simply run three Round Robins, and the scores will determine the final placings.
- All the Matches in the Flight are raced on the same race course.
- Match race events have been known to run as many as five (5) Matches in one Flight.
- A typical match race takes around 15 minutes; a Flight typically takes around 22 minutes plus 5 additional minutes for each additional Match in that Flight. For instance, if there were four (4) Matches in a Flight, figure the Flight will take 37 minutes to complete (22 plus (3×5)).
- Assuming the fleet of boats being used is relatively even, there is no need to change boats between races. Boats can be rotated once between Round Robins if a rotation is desired. Boats can be exchanged in the Semi’s and Finals rounds after each odd race, if desired. Obviously, rotating/changing boats is a big time eater.